As Adriana lies on her deathbed, a young girl appears before her. Together they wander through the Dutch landscape of Zeeland while Adriana tries to make peace with her past. In 2012, together with Theaterproductiehuis Zeelandia, Julia took the initiative of a performance based on interviews with members of her family from Zeeuws-Vlaanderen (Zeeland Flanders) about the family-owned confectionary sugar empire ‘Van Melle’. Paul Pourveur wrote King sweet King of De Zoete Inval. In the years that followed, the monologue from the First Act, inspired by the life of Julia’s Great-Grandmother, kept on haunting her. In 2020 Julia decided to ask Paul Pourveur if she could use this text as a starting-point for the screenplay of a short film. Together with Joël Duinkerke, she tells the story in a cinematic portrait.
SELECTED AT FESTIVALS
- Raindance 2021, London, UK (Academy Award, BAFTA en Canadian Screen Award Qualifying)
- Official Selection Film by the Sea 2021, Vlissingen, The Netherlands
- WINNER Best fiction short TOPAZ Film Festival 2021, presented at Women in Film, Dallas, Texas, US
- Official Selection New Renaissance Film Festival 2021, London, UK
- Official Selection ‘Sober’ premiered on September 1 in Cinema Middelburg during the Zeeland Late-Summer Festival 2020 in The Netherlands.
2021 | Short Film | 17 minutes
Role Editor & Colorist
Director Joël Duinkerke
Producer Julia van de Graaff
Line Producer Edgar Kapp
Camera Rieks Soepenberg
Sound Design Erik de Reus
Trailer Editor Angelo Raaijmakers